Magento is very popular and most powerful open source e-commerce content management system in the world. This software is developed by Varien Inc., a US private company head quarter in Culver City, California, with the help of volunteer’s programmers. Magento offers to create your own ecommerce stores with lots of functionality and flexibility. For developing your Magento store you need some basic programming and designing skills. So Magento Tutorial for Beginners assist you to get some basic concept about Magento as well as tutorials of Magento themes, Magento templates, Magento modules, extensions and others.
History of Magento
- July, 2007 – Magento officially began to improve
- August, 2007 – Beta version published
- March , 2008 – Magento ver 1.0 was released
- July, 2008. Magento ver 1.1 was released
Basic Features of Magento
Magento is an open ecommerce source platform which is powerful and has many applications. It provides all features and tools to build ecommerce website as quick as possible.
There are features which Magento Tutorial for Beginners summarized:
- Analytics and Reporting – Google Analytics used to analyse and reporting.
- Product Browsing – You can add multiple images for products, give review and other things.
- Catalogue Browsing – You can compare product, advance filtering of product and simple navigation of product.
- Catalogue Management – inventory management, batch import and export of products, different tax rates per location, additional product attributes.
- Customer Accounts – order status and history, e-mail and RSS feeds for products in the wishlist, newsletter subscription, default billing and shipping address.
- Customer Service – enhanced features for customers’ accounts, Contact Us form, comprehensive order tracking and history, customizable order e-mails.
- Order Management – create orders through admin area, create multiple invoices shipments and credit memos, call center order creation option.
- Payment – different payment methods: credit cards, PayPal, Authorize.net, Google Checkout, checks, money orders, support of external payment modules like Cybersource, ePay, eWAY and many more.
- Shipping – shipping to multiple addresses, flat rating shipping, supports UPS, UPS XML (account rates), FedEx (account rates), USPS and DHL.
- Checkout – one page checkout, SSL support, checkout without having an account.
- Search Engine Optimization – 100% Search Engine Friendly, Google SiteMap support.
- International Support – multiple languages and currencies, list of allowed countries for registration, purchasing and shipping, localization.
- Marketing Promotions and Tools – coupons, discounts and different promotion options.
- Site Management – control of multiple web sites, multiple languages, tax rate with support for US and International markets, customizable outlook through templates.
Advantages of Magento
- It is open source so you can use it without any cost and enhance according to your need.
- Magento has lots free and paid extension to enhance your ecommerce store. You can find Magento extension through Magestore, Aheadworks, Amasty.
- Magento offers code re-use, maintainability, debugging, support, etc. are all huge, expensive problems that eCommerce solutions providers must tackle.
- Magento has vast concepts of ecommerce store . Stock Magento comes with Simple, Configurable, Grouped, Bundled, Virtual and Digital Products. You can sell any event tickets and books at the same time, without using any extensions.
The disadvantages of Magento
- Magento architecture is like enterprise java application but its code is written in PHP so Magento is relatively slow than other ecommerce solutions
- Magento code is heavy layered and complicated so it is difficult to change according to need or you should have a good budget to work with Magento.
- You need to have a good hosting environment and store management in order for Magento to run. If proper hosting environment is not set-up, you can experience problems with speed. Unlike simpler systems which can work anywhere, such as WordPress, Magento performs poorly if the website services are not as required, which means you need to have good server along with a good team to set and maintain server.
- Magento is intensive resource and requires much space and memory.
- Installation is not as intuitive as it should be in admin area. You should use the option of safe mode during installation.